Finally a FO – My Anklet Socks

Grey-Purple Anklet FO

  • Yarn: Lisa Souza Sock! (gray & purple left overs)
  • Yarn Weight: Fingering
  • Needles: US Size 2 (3.0 mm) circulars
  • Measurements: US Shoe Size 7
  • Pattern:  Basic Knee High Sock (modified to anklet)
  • Time Spent: 9 hours
  • Dates: 12/31/2015 – 6/21/2015

I’m getting behind in my knitting and needed some motivation this weekend.  I picked up the closest to done WIP I had sitting around and decided to finish it off.  It was very satisfying to finish something!  Nothing too special here with the socks.  I made a bunch of them for Christmas last year; six months later and my pair is finally done.

I still have left over yarn from the Color Affection Shawl so more socks to come!.  Next pair will be with gray toes and the rest purple.  I might go a bit tighter around the ankle but I’ll have to wear these for a few weeks before I know for sure.

Art Deco Socks – Code Name: Falcon

Art Deco

Yarn: Knit Picks Stroll Fingering

  • Black (22/50 g)
  • Guava (22/50 g)
Yarn Weight: Fingering
Needles: US Size 2 (3.0 mm) DPNs
Measurements: US Shoe Size 7
Pattern Location: Knit Picks’s Art Deco Socks (heavily modified)
Time Spent: 12 hours
Dates: 12/23/2012 – 12/24/2012

Finally here’s the last 2012 Christmas present, code name “Falcon.” This was my penance project for all of my procrastination.  It was the very first pattern I picked out and I knew I would make it for my sister Lisa, code name Tiger Snake. I was even procrastinating two days before I had to have all the gifts done.  This left me with a pair of socks to complete in one day.  Now, I’d planned on it taking 8 hours so it wasn’t too bad but the 12 hours it actually took did start to get a bit rough.

The pattern is very heavily modified.  I wanted toe up instead of cuff down socks, I wanted to try anklet socks, and I wanted to use my favorite heel technique (Fleegle’s heel).  Sadly I don’t think Fleegle’s heel was the best choice with the pattern.  My original hope was to continue the main pattern on the gusset stitches but I quickly realized this was not working with the location of my increases.  I may have been able to pull it off but not without more planning time than I had left myself with.  The original heel style would have worked better but I’m still happy with how they turned out.

This was the first time I made one sock at a time instead of my usual two socks at once on circular needles.  I decided since I was doing them individuality I wanted them to be a bit different.  I alternated the main and contrast colors on the second sock and made the heel mismatch the toe/cuff on each sock.

This backfired a little bit.  After I realized I had enough yarn for two pairs I wanted to make another pair so that my sister could choose if she wanted the matched or mismatched socks each time she wore them.  I guess it paid off to procrastinate because I definitely did not have enough time for two pairs in one day!