Hue Shift Afghan – Finally Done!!

Hue Shift FO Small

  • Yarn: Knit Picks Brava Sport
    • Color A: Sky (114 grams = 1.14 skeins)
    • Color B: White (114 grams = 1.14 skeins)
    • Color C: Dove Heather (114 grams = 1.14 skeins)
    • Color D: Cobblestone Heather (118 grams = 1.18 skeins)
    • Color E: Black (114 grams = 1.14 skeins)
    • Color F: Umber Heather (116 grams = 1.16 skeins)
    • Color G: Sienna (108 grams = 1.08 skeins)
    • Color H: Camel Heather (114 grams = 1.14 skeins)
    • Color I: Cream (114 grams = 1.14 skeins)
    • Color J: Tranquil (117 grams = 1.17 skeins)
    • Color K: Solstice Heather (200 grams = 2 skeins)
  • Yarn Weight: Sport
  • Needles: US Size 5 ( 3.75 mm) circular
  • Pattern:  Hue Shift Afghan – Decor Colorway
  • Time Spent: 140 – 150 hours
  • Dates: 3/28/2015 – 7/26/2016

It’s done!  My first “real” sized blanket and I finished it.  The mitered squares are done, the border is done, all the ends are weaved in, and pictures have been taken.  I’m done.  It may have taken over a year and around 150 hours of work, but I’m done.  Plus, I accomplished my original goal to regain some knitting ground!  I’ve regained most, if not all, of the skill I had before my knitting break.

I’ll be honest, this blanket has a lot of character.  By which I mean flaws, mistakes, or intended uniqueness.  Whatever you’d like to call them.  My gauge is all over the place on different parts of this blanket.  I ran out of yarn and have a few mismatching dye lots in there.  Two sides of the border are one dye lot and the other two are another, and yes you can tell!  One entire quarter I cast on with the wrong set of colors so that quarters didn’t line up with the rest as they should.  This was my first time doing mattress stitch and some places are a bit questionable.  But you know what, I like my blankets with character!

4th Quarter Hue Shift Afghan Done!

Hue Shift Afghan Q1-4 wide

Mitered squares are done!  I finished this last quarter of the hue shift afghan faster than any others.  I’m really eager to finish this off but of course there’s the seaming and that border.  Since I don’t hate myself I have been weaving in the ends along the way.  I can’t recommend this highly enough!  Can you image having 200-ish ends to weave in just when you thought you were finished?!?

Each quarter took between 30-35 hours each.  This includes weaving in all the ends and of course making mistakes.  I’m guesstimating the seaming & border will take about as much time as one of these quarters did.  That leaves me at 80% done but that’s still exciting.  I need to pick a new travel project since the blanket will be too big & heavy to carry with me!

3rd Quarter Hue Shift Afghan Done!

Hue Shift Afghan Q1-3I’m sure everyone thinks that this poor project has been abandoned but it has not!  Since it’s such an easy project I’ve been working on it during my knitting group meetups.  However, unlike I anticipated back in August this has not made for faster progress.  This third quarter took six months!  My cat, Loki, did get sick and interrupt all knitting project for a few months. Unfortunately, it still would have taken at least four months anyway.

What’s worse is now that my sister is pregnant again I have my eye on this Reversible Celtic Baby Blanket.  That thing is insane and perhaps over sized for a “baby” blanket.  I would never abandon my poor hue shift afghan but there’s no doubt it’ll take more than a year to finish with my eye on other projects!

 

2nd Quarter Hue Shift Afghan Done!

Q2_2

Three months later and I’ve got the second quarter of my Hue Shift Afghan done. It took just over 30 hours again; my estimate is holding true!  This quarter used all ten colors so thankfully there was no dreaded single color squares.  Sadly I’m now sure I will need to buy more yarn.  I only have enough of the brown colors to get me through 2-3 squares each instead of the 5 I’ll need in the last quarter.

I’ll have to weigh all the yarn before I start that last quarter and see if I need to buy more of all the colors or just the browns.  Of course that means I’m going to have a bunch of extra yarn at the end.  Maybe I’ll see if I can track down another poor soul using these colors who can use the left overs.  I don’t really mind the cost since I’ll spend less for 10 more skeins of Brava than I did for some of the single skeins I bought during the yarn crawl but I have much better uses for my storage space than 10 skeins of unplanned acrylic.

Saturday I started the third quarter during a new (to me) meetup group, Aurora Naperville Area Knitters.  I’ve wanted to join one of these groups for awhile and I’m really glad Emily, who I met at Stitches, invited me.  Maybe this time it won’t take me three months to finish this next section!

Q1 and Q2

Knit 1st Quarter of Hue Shift Afghan!

Hue Shift Afghan Q1 MessyI finished knitting the first quarter of my nice easy project, the Hue Shift Afghan.  It took me 32 hours.  Looks like my 150 hour estimate is still on track.  The big mystery will be how long that final border takes!

The mitered squares are pretty easy.  As I should have learned from my practice squares the cast on gauge is very important  My very first square is noticeably smaller than the others.  In fact I’m a bit worried that the squares got bigger and bigger each row.  I might have to wash it and see if that’s really true.  Not sure if I should try to block each quarter by itself or wait until it’s all done.  I guess I have some research to do on Ravelry! While I’m at it I may look at how people are picking up stitches.

The most difficult thing for me are the squares in one color.  I think only one of the five didn’t have to be ripped back a few rows to fix a missing or extra decrease.  The alternating colors really help to signal the decrease row.


Hue Shift Afghan Q1 Front

Hue Shift Afghan Q1 Side

Hue Shift Afghan Q1 Close